Keeping the shelves of the UK’s biggest supermarket chain stocked is a tough business – one requiring 58 million cases of products each week. Getting them off the delivery trucks safely is a key priority for Tesco, hence a two-year project with ASSA ABLOY Group company Traka.
Tesco required a system to prevent delivery vehicles from being driven off unexpectedly, injuring or even killing distribution staff in the loading dock.
Today, in a project spanning nearly two years, Traka Dock Door Management Solutions can be found in each of the 1163 goods-in dock doors across Tesco’s UK distribution network.
Traka’s system essentially eliminates human error, such as drivers misinterpreting cues and driving off before the door dock is closed. In simple terms:
- When they arrive at the dock door, drivers hand over their vehicle keys
- The keys are stored in a Traka intelligent cabinet, which then communicates the door is safe to open
- An authorized and trained operator uses an iFob with the correct permissions to open the dock door from within the warehouse
- When the dock door is closed and the iFob is returned to its control box, a signal is sent back to the intelligent cabinet
- Only then can the driver’s keys be removed and the vehicle driven away.